Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Matthew Chapter 13 - ACC NT Study


Jesus' parables always speak to the heart. Matthew Chapter 13 has several parables, however the one that has always convicted me is "The Parable of the Sower." While I understand Jesus' explanation of what the parable means, it also speaks to me and how my heart needs to be changed on a consistent basis.

It goes something like this:

(Verse 3,4)
...A farmer went out to sow his seed.
As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up.


A path is soil that is packed down. In fact you can say it is hard ground. Well, I realize my heart is sometimes like the path and has become hard. God's word does not sink in unless I choose to allow Him to soften my heart.

(Verse 5,6)
Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow.
But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root.

After God softens my heart I sometimes realize I still have some attitudes (Rocky Places) that prevent me from letting God's word work deep into my heart, take root and help make serious changes in my life.

(Verse 7)
Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants.


With a softened heart and removal of bad attitudes, I feel I can do everything. However if I try to do so, I may become too busy for God's word to survive in my heart. (Hopefully I am in tune with Him to know His will.)

(VERSE 8)
Still other seed fell on good on good soil, where it produced a crop...


To properly prepare a field a farmer must break up the hard soil, remove rocks, clear out thorns and then sow the seed. I pray I allow God to do the same with my heart, and a crop is produced through me.

In a few words:
Allow the farmer to work the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment