Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mark Chapter 10 - ACC NT Study

The story of the Rich Young Man in this chapter has always been an interesting one to me. I may have a different take on it than others who read it. Check out verses 17-20:

17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
18 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone.

19 You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.'
20 "Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy."


It always made me wonder about when the young man told Jesus that he had kept all the commandments. I want to say: Really? Was he so perfect that he was never disprespectful to his parents or never ever lied ever since he was a boy? I wonder if Jesus was calling him out per se' by telling him the following in Verse 21:

21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

I know Jesus most likely did not mean it this way, but to me His answer was almost like saying: Well, since you are so good and almost perfect, selling everything and giving it to the poor should not be any problem for you. However the young man's reaction reveals his true character in verse 22:

22 At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

In a few words:
Humbly admit our shortcomings to our Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment